I have a VERY thick and permanent calluse on all

Q: I have a VERY thick and permanent calluse on all my fingers due to perpetual skin picking. This caused for the skin around my whole tip of my finger not to grow back at all. I put lotion everyday and night, but nothing works. It has been like this for about 3 years and my fingers are lighter than usual because of the permanent, thick callus. This has been affecting my everyday life and has caused me to avoid activities and interactions with people. It caused for me to write differently in school which is uncomfortably painful, and it has affected how I act everywhere. I am usually depressed and downtrodden thinking about the effect my horrible fingers has ended me up in. People look at my fingers and then when I see if they're looking, they turn away as if they didn't see that. No matter how much lotion I put, the callus is still there and shows no sign of improvement. I tried using nail filer and pumice stone but that does not help. I really need this to be solved so I can be myself again and have a happier life. What should I do to permanently REMOVE this CALLUS?!

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

I believe that you have a wart-like lesion on the hand. This happens when you keep picking the lesion and this leads to repeated healing and high amount of scar tissue is formed leading to a hypertrophic scar.

You can get this treated by getting excision surgery or with steroids to help you.

I wish you a speedy recovery. All the best.