I have a white bump with red swelling on the


Q: I have a white bump with red swelling on the outer most of my vagina. It's very painful and I want to know if there is any over the counter medicine for me to take that will make it go away? I read online that it might be a bacterial infection since I shave constantly down there. I got in the pool the other day and there may have been an open wound when I got in. If so, please email me with help. I can't take this pain anymore.

Symptoms:  Painful swelling bump on my vagina.

A:   Hello,
Thanks for the query.

It looks like you have developed a bartholin's cyst or a folliculitis which is a hair follicle infection. It will need an examination form a gynecologist for the confirmation of the diagnosis. It may need a surgical excision depending on how large it is and how much of an infection is persisting. You will need a course of antibiotics and painkillers. Over the counter medications will not be of much help other than temporarily reducing pain.

Hope this helped.

Related Q&A

Q: I just used a public toliet. While going to the bathroom (pooping) the poop hit the toilet water and splashed back up...

Q: I recently had a sexual encounter with a work colleague. we didn't have penetrative sex and he was not fully erect at...

Q: I have symptoms of nasal valve collapse (soft part of nostrils sucking in and hard to breathe through nose without Br...

Q: I received oral sex 2 days ago. Now I have tingling on the tip of my penis. I also noticed it is red there. It feels ...

Q: I have a question about whether or not a chest cold can cause myocarditis in someone who has had the issue recently a...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon