I have an 87 year old father, he has congestive heart failure, diabetes, and had several mini strokes.

Patient: I have an 87 year old father, he has congestive heart failure, diabetes, and has had several mini strokes that only affected the balance. He was diagnosed with a rare auto immune disorder called bullous Pemphigoid blistering of the skin itching but very big ugly blisters at age 84. He was treated with 60 mg prednisone and it cleared everything up but caused his congestive heart failure atrial fibrillation and major weight gain and slowly weaned down to 20 than 15 than 10mg , at 10mg he broke out all over again put back on 60 everything cleared up now we are back to 20mg and he is living a productive life.. Does it really make sense to try and go to 15mg and down to 10mg Again he’s 87 many other problems now and will never be able to tolerate another break out..

Doctor: HelloThanks for query.Its worrisome to have such autoimmune disease with multiple comorbidities at this age. Pleas e get consultation from endocrinologist as prednisone causes hpa axis inhibition which leads to more water retention in the body and further aggravating CHF.Better you post the echo report and other treatment history and switch over to Deflazacort for better results.If you have any further concerns, please free to ask in the follow up,Hope it helpsGood luck