Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have an ingrown toenail and it is hard and

I have an ingrown toenail and it is hard and

Patient: I have an ingrown toenail and it is hard and purple around the area pic provided well I can’t cut the skin or go to a doctor so how can I get it out and get rid of it

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.The picture does not correlate with the problems you have.Ingrown toe nail with hared purple skin indicates a chronic nature of the problem. You say that you can not cut the skin or go to the Doctor.Your question is how to get rid of the problem:You can use the nail-file and file-up the mid portion of the nail in such a way that it is thinned in the middle only.See with time the sides of the nails will be automatically lifted -off the mass and you may get a relief.If this fails go for a formal surgery.