I have an on and off fever.

Patient : I have been having an on and off fever for a week. I went to the hospital on the third day they checked my nose and throat and it was negative. They said I was suppose to feel better in 2 days but I am not. Is this normal?
Symptoms:  Coughing, runny nose, headache
Doctor :   Hello, Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com I understand your concern. Viral fever can last anywhere between 7-10 days. The fact that your throat is clear, and there is no runny nose shows that the infection is not severe. Yes, sometimes the recovery can take some more time, but there is nothing to worry about. Watch out for sudden rise in temperature, or other symptoms such as associated chills/ rigors. In that case you can visit your local physician and proceed accordingly after physical examination. Hope this was helpful, Regards.