Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have asthma and I think I may have the flu

I have asthma and I think I may have the flu

Patient: I have asthma and I just started wheezing very little i think i may have the flu what is the best way to get rid of it without going to the doctor?

Symptoms: Coughing, Wheezing, Sneezing,

Doctor: Thank you for your question. If you are not experiencing wheezing from your Asthma, you can try using your albuterol inh aler if you have one. This will assist in opening your airways allowing you to breath adequately. Now if you are experiencing symptoms of the the flu, you may need to be examined by a doctor as your asthma symptoms can worsen with this concomitant illness. As a rule of thumb, when feeling flu like symptoms it is important to stay well hydrated and drink lots of clear fluids. Furthermore, observe to see if you are having any symptoms of fever by measuring your temperature. If you are running a high temperature, please see your doctor immediately.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com