Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have been depressed on and off these past two-three

I have been depressed on and off these past two-three

Patient: I have been depressed on and off these past two-three years.I haven’t talked to anyone about it. I tried to tell my parents that I need some kind of therapy, but it never happened. Should I get help, what kind of therapy do I need if I need any, and who do I go to?

Symptoms: Isadness, depression

Doctor: HelloThanks for using Ask The Doctor for posting your query.Mild/Moderate Depression does require treatment, other wise it may progress to a more severe form of depression. Treatment of depression is by psychotherapy (Counseling) or by pharmacotherapy (Medicines). Initially I would suggest you to go ahead with the cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy is a specialized counseling technique which identifies the thought (cognitive ) distortions and tries to correct them. It may involve 5-7 weekly hourly sessions. Mostly your illness should respond to it. Clinical psychologists are the people who cater to these problems.Hope this helps you,Do meet your doctor and get a referral to a clinical psychologist.Wish you a good health.

Patient: Thank you for your help, so far no one else has helped me, so thanks again.