I have been experiencing neck pain for the past year,

Patient : I have been experiencing neck pain for the past year, it comes and goes . its throbbing pain on the right side, behind the ear and under the ear to the right side of neck,till the shoulder . Sometimes the right jaw joint hurts too. i sometimes grind my teeth while sleeping andhave been wearing a mouth guard for the past two months. My neck isn't stiff.the painful area is very sore to touch. the pain doesn't get better with message or heat nor does lying down help. I take over the counter pain med .
Doctor :   Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you on this medical platform. If you are suffering from Migraine Hea daches, which are often confused with Cervical pain in case of such presentation. You should be started on medicines for the prophylaxis of migraine. If you are on Migraine prophylaxis, slowly, your severity and frequency of attacks would reduce and a time will come, when you will have almost no attacks. Let me brief you about the pattern of Migraine headaches. Migraine headaches are usually unilateral, associated with throbbing, vomiting sensations, photophobia and phonophobia. So, if you have these symptoms then probably you have Migraine. A Neurological Examination, fundus examination are must to rule out any other Neurological problem which might also require Neuroimaging. For Migraine prophylaxis drugs like Flunarizine, Propanolol, Amitriptyline are used. Share my opinion with your doctor and get treated. Good Luck. Stay Healthy.