I have been feeling pregnant for almost 3 to 4 months now

Patient

Q: Hi i have been feeling pregnant for almost 3 to 4 months now, and my lower tommy is seems to be increasing ( shape like a pregnant women). My breasts have increased and some times are very sore but sometimes, just my nipples are sore. All my tests have come out neg. I don't know what to do. I have irregular periods and in march i had something like a one day spotting, waited 2 weeks did a home test and iwas negative, since then have done about 4 or 5 tests still negative. And now i feel vry gassy, heavy on the abdominal side, small sharp pains around the cervix and everyday lower back pain.Some times i feel like throwing up but then i have control over it. I sleep alot now and very forgetful too.
Please help me

Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,

If you have been having delayed menses and your pregnancy tests have been negative then the most common possibility could be polycystic ovarian syndrome or PCOS. PCOS is characterised by irregular delayed menses, excessive bodily hair growth, high androgen levels with multiple cysts in the ovary. This is accompanied with obesity and anovulatory cycles due to increased insulin resistance. This is the most common cause in reproductive age group women who are sexually active.
As you have missed menses since march, the present symptoms of bloating, gassiness, mild abdominal cramps, nausea, mood swings can indicate that possibly your menses are to ensure in next few days and these are premenstrual symptoms. But is you don't resume your menses in next few days then you should ideally get an ultrasound pelvis to look for polycystic ovaries and a hormonal profile to look for high androgen levels, hypothyroidism/ or hyperprolactinemia or progesterone deficiency. These are the likely possibilities which warrant investigation.

As pregnancy is ruled out, you can presently opt for a withdrawal bleed with progestins to resume your menses and then undergo complete hormonal, physical and gynaecological examination with your physician to ascertain the possible cause of delay in menses, so that treatment can then be directed accordingly.
I hope I have answered your query in detail.

Wishing you good health,

Patient: Tnxs, i have already been diagnosed with pcos(about 8 to 9 years now) i am 26 years old, i weight 70kg , used to weight 65. In a year i get like 3 periods max so march wasn't when i started that way.the last period i had was either January or beginning February. I have had an etopic pregnancy plus a 7 year old child( found out i was pregnant 4 months after no symptoms nothing just a normal gynaecological check up). So all you have said above is no news to me. My main worry is i feel really heavy and when my friends see my tommy they just asume am pregnant. Can't there be any other explanation?
Doctor: Well, the explanation is really simple that you have to be plced of regular low dose oral contraceptive pills to regularise your menses for 6 months else the bloating sensation, heaviness of tummy and other symptoms which can be due to deranged hormonal balance especially progesterone effect shall need regularisation and unless regularised again, it would be difficult to feel normal again. As i said the symptoms are part of PMS complex and if your menses are not resumed then you should opt for a withdrawal bleed and then should be placed on oc pills, weight needs to be kept in check, regular exercises must and balanced diet with good hydration is often the key against PCOS.