Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have been for a smear test and the nurse

I have been for a smear test and the nurse

Patient: I have been for a smear test and the nurse couldn’t do it because my cervix was so high, so she has made me another appointment for tomorrow with a doctor to try again, what could this mean and is there any chance I could be in the very early stages of pregnancy? And if I am will the doctor detect this?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Yes, cervix could be higher because of pregnancy, but not in the initial stages, so that does not seem to be the case here. It varies even with the normal menstrual cycle.You should consult a gynecologist and let her examine the cervix.Hope this was helpful,Regards