I have been having a lot of cough and breathing

Patient

Q: I have been having a lot of cough and breathing problems after the earthquake. Is this something serious? Please help.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

It is common to have breathing problems after an earthquake because of all the dust. Here is what you can do. Wet a cloth and breathe through the moist cloth to allow for breathing.

If you have access to boiling water, boil it and inhale the steam to clear your nasal passages. If you are starting to produce yellow sputum, then you should see a Doctor. If a Doctor is not available, continue the symptomatic treatment and wait for a Doctor. Hope this helps you. All the best.