Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have been having a sharp pain in my back

I have been having a sharp pain in my back

Patient: I have been having a sharp pain in my back the left side it hurts horribly when I stand to long or if I sit in a hard chair

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.You seem to be suffering from any of the following:1. Muscular back pain2. Prol apsed Intervertebral disc compression.In case you have any associated fever, weight loss, cough, you would require evaluation for TB of spine.So, I would advise you to get a MRI Lumbo-sacral spine to rule out these issues. If you have any such issues, you would be treated accordingly.For muscular pain, I advise to take a combination of pain killer and muscle relaxant containing Diclofenac and Thiocolchicoside.You should do hot fomentation of the affected area and apply Diclofenac ointment locally.You should also physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy