Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have been having debilitating tension headaches and was pr

I have been having debilitating tension headaches and was pr

Patient: I have been having debilitating tension headaches and was prescribed Tizenadine when I went to the ER today after telling the doctor that I was a breastfeeding mother. She told me it was safe however my pharmacist told me different. I’m wondering whether or not it is safe to take while nursing?

Doctor: Tizenadine is not a safe drug to be taken while you are breast feeding as its effects on the baby are not known and no h uman studies regarding its safety in breast feeding mothers have been conducted.Unless you absolutely need the medicine and no safer alternatives are available, i would advise that you do not take tinezadine. Speak to your doctor again about your concerns and discuss if other alternative medicines can beprescribed to you.