Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have been having intercourse with my boyfriend 

I have been having intercourse with my boyfriend 

Patient: I have been having intercourse with my boyfriend for about a month, my hymen broken the first time but hasn’t anytime after. Except last night I couldnt tell if it was my hymen, period, or spotting.. Help. How do I tell?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Any blood flow from the breakage of hymen would be frank bleeding which will not be fou l smelling. A period will have a different smell and consistency of the blood and will be prolonged for 4 to 5 days, the flow getting lighter as days pass. Bleeding from hymen rupture may be excessive or even a mild spotting and may not prolong for many days.Hope this helped.Regards