I have been having issues in the stomach for a

Patient

Q: I have been having issues in the stomach for a few weeks. Random pains in the belly, different stool consistency. Now I have a feeling like something is stuck at the base of the esophagus applying pressure from the back to the chest. I haven't been diagnosed with anything beyond IBS could this also be GERD or something else causing the throat feeling?

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

The symptoms you mentioned of something being stuck at the base of the esophagus, pain in the belly, pressure at the back of the chest are all suggestive of GERD.

Especially other co-existing chest conditions also increase the chances of the reflux disease. I will ask you to start taking Cap. Omeprazole 20 mg
Twice daily from tomorrow, once in the morning before breakfast and once in the evening before dinner. The symptoms should subside in a weeks time.

Based on the response we can decide how long you need to take Omeprazole. In most cases twice a week for 2 weeks is recommended.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,