Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have been having pain in my neck and shoulder

I have been having pain in my neck and shoulder

Patient: I have been having pain in my neck and shoulder for the past 6 weeks after a work accident and all scans have shown nothing. I am now experiencing numbness from my should down at random times especially after picking something up, no more than 5kg and occasional tingling in my fingers

Doctor: HelloThank you for posting your query at ATDYour history is consistent with neurological symptoms due to irritatio n of the nerve roots in the cervical region. In most of the cases, intervertebral disc prolapse occurs, which presses on the nerve roots and such symptoms of radiating pain, tingling/numbness or electric current like sensations are felt along the distribution of nerve.My advice is to visit your local orthopaedic doctor and get clinically examined. MRI scan are indicated to look for the cause of nerve irritation.Medication will be prescribed as it is not available over the counter.Feel free to discuss further.Regards