I have been having severe mood swings for the past

Q: I have been having severe mood swings for the past year, it gets better and worse sporadically, I am almost constantly feeling heavy and often sad, even at happy occasion. I can't shake it and it's affecting my social life, I feel isolated and alone. I have been short with people without meaning to, I am lethargic and uninterested in things I usually enjoy and have no motivation. I can't sleep well and I feel very empty sometimes, do you know what's wrong with me?

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.

The symptoms that you have mentioned suggest that you could be having a depression. The mood swings that you are describing are occurring due to AN imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. The neurotransmitters like serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as fluoxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of depression. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.
You may meet your doctor and get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a psychologist consult.
Do meet your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Wish you a good health.