I have been having some kind of knee pain since

Patient : I have been having some kind of knee pain since sometime late last year. Anytime I run, go up/down stairs, workout it has this bad pain. It's not just pain, it feels like it's in the joint. It's feels that the pain is just focused on the top of my left tibia. You must also keep in mind that I'm a gymnast. It's getting to the point that I can do much without my knee in pain. Please help.
Doctor :   Thank you for writing to us. You may have a ligament injury or a muscle strain. The treatment of both is similar. Rest the knee and prevent straining it by running Ice the knee for 15 mins every hour to help Compress the knee using crepe bandage to reduce the swelling Elevate the knee to allow blood flow back to the heart Take paracetamol tablets to help you reduce the swelling Hope this helps you. All the best.