Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have been itching off and on for about 6

I have been itching off and on for about 6

Patient: I have been itching off and on for about 6 months. I would scratch my labia (in & out) so hard sometimes it would cause bleeding or tearing that was very painful when I urinate. I took an over the counter yeast infection medication which burned tremendously. Even though it was painful I would still engage in sexual activity with my spouse, which caused more itching. On Friday I had sex doggystyle and immediately following it began to itch and I continuously rubbed the area. An abrasion formed then it felt as though I had a cut on the right side of labia near the perineum. My husband looked & confirm the year along with redness and swelling. I put antibiotic ointment & anti itch vaginal cream on my entire vaginal area for 3 days. On Wednesday, 10-12 red bumps formed on my inner right labia. They started off looking like pimples but now look like they’re under the skin. They are not painful or itchy. I do not have a fever or flu like symptoms but could this still be herpes?

Symptoms: Redness, swelling

I have been itching off and...-1

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.On reading your detailed history and reviewing the image attached along with the quer y, we are of the opinion that it could be a herpes lesion that you have recently developed. They generally present with severe burning and also itching at times along the local areas. Any underlying stress or illness can aggravate them and they begin to show up as lesions more distinctly.It is recommended that you stop all the over the counter medications and consult a gynecologist immediately for an examination and investigations to confirm the diagnosis.If it is herpes, you will need a course of antiviral medications.You will have to avoid intercourse until you recover and reduce strenuous activities or emotional worries that can trigger an attack to make it worse.Maintain feminine hygiene and avoid using nylon undergarments and tight clothes.Use cotton undergarments and loose fitting clothing.Hope this helped.Feel free to write back for further clarifications.Regards

Patient: I read about herpes and I don’t have any of the other symptoms and within hours the area looked like the bumps were under the skin and there wasn’t any pus or bleeding… Could it possibly be something else?

Doctor: Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
It looks like herpes from the images, herpes is not associated with discharge. Pain and discomfort with a burning sensation are commonly noticed.
If not for herpes, it could be an acute inflammatory reaction after an intercourse.
Hope this helped.

Patient: Thank you! I appreciate your comments tremendously.

Doctor: Hello,
Thanks for the reply
It was a pleasure helping you.