I have been married for 5 years and been with

Patient

Q: I have been married for 5 years and been with my partner for 13.My partner (39 years old)just tested positive for high risk hpv.Does this mean she cheated.She has never tested positive before.I have heard that the virus can emain dormant and undetecteted for years is this true?

Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,

It is true that the HPV virus can remain dormant for years together and can get positive once the general immunity of the person goes down. It affects the cervix causing cervical erosions and ectopy. This can be also be seen in women with promiscuous activity though i.e. with multiple sexual partners. It is suggested that even you should get yourself screened for HPV lest you may have contracted it from her or vice versa. It would be imprudent to say that she has been cheating on you as HPV cervical strains 6,11,16,18 are the known strains which affect the cervix in a woman of which 6,11 causes genital warts and the remaining two are known to cause cervical cancer.
It is necessary that PAP SMEAR staging should be done for her and as found to be a high-risk lesion or HSIL a cryocauterisation, cone biopsy or LEEP procedure may be offered to her. You may discuss the options with your physician keeping fertility concerns in mind and take an informed decision for her.
I hope I have answered your query in detail,

Wishing her good health,

Patient: I didn't think there was an Hpv test for men.So she may have possibly had the virus for 12 years and it was dormant?.could I have had it and passed it to her 12 years ago?
Doctor: Hello,
Well men and women have equal chances of contracting the infection during their sexual pro-active phase and can harbour the infection for long. You can get tested for the same by a swab test following a urethral and periurethral smear and HPV co-testing. There is all possibility that you may have transferred it to her or she may have done vice versa, hence its important that you should get yourself tested as well.