I have been on birth control for 3 years and was considering getting off of them after my current supply runs out

Patient

Q: Hi,
I have been on birth control for 3 years and was considering getting off of them after my current supply runs out. I got on them for a combination of being sexually active and really bad periods (they were a week long and I would throw up the first day), but I am no longer having sex. I don't want to have bad periods again, but I'm scared that if I am on birth control for to longer it wont't be good for me. Will getting off of them be a good or bad idea?

Doctor