I have been on my period since Since Jan 14

Patient : I have been on my period since Since Jan. 14.. My doctor said it was because I was stressing which I have. I'm trying to balance it out with birth control pills. My doctor didn't prescribe me the medicine but do you think the doctor will prescribe me with birth control pills to get my period back on track ??
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for the query. I understand your concern. Prolonged bleeding during periods is called menorrhagia. It can occur due to many causes like endometrial abnormalities, gonadal hormonal imbalance, thyroid hormonal abnormalities, coagulation abnormalities, uterine fibroids, adenomyosis etc. The treatment options depend on the cause of the problem. As you are having continuous bleeding for two months, better to get evaluated. Please do consult your doctor, get examined and go for investigations like ultrasound, gonadal hormonal profile, thyroid hormonal profile, complete blood picture etc. With this workup, the possible cause of your problem can be identified and treated. If the cause is found to be gonadal hormonal imbalance, birth control pills can help in regularizing your cycles. Hope this helps. Take care

Related Q&A

Q: I am taking Cerazette and taking birth control as the first time. I accidentally start the first pill from the bottom...

Q: When taking POP birth control norethindrone how close to the time you are supposed to take it can it still be effecti...

Q: I've noticed my stomach has been gurgling since the last time i had sex they day after my period ended. I am on birth...

Q: I've been taking junel birth control. I just finish my first pack and now this week I'm on withdrawal bleeding. But i...

Q: Is it ok to take brith control after labral reconstruction surgery?


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon