Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have been on suboxen and subutex for 8 months

I have been on suboxen and subutex for 8 months

Patient: I have been on suboxen and subutex for 8 months now. I got off heroin and used it to help stay off it. I am due to have a baby in may and I want to get off it completely before I have the baby. My pregnancy is going very well. Will it hurt my baby if I get off it now. Its been mostly subutex that I have taken. I don’t feel I need it but I’m scared of.withdrawal. will I be ok? How should I go about it?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Any drug is dangerous in pregnancy and the drugs you are talking about work on opioid re ceptors. Opioid receptors are dangerous and can affect fetal growth for sure.You should talk to your Gynecologist to confirm what you need to do. This will help you decide if you need the drugs or not.Do explain in detail about your Problem to the Doctor. I hope this helps you. All the best.