I have been on the nuva ring for 3 months

Patient

Q: I have been on the nuva ring for 3 months but last month after having a new one inserted, it had fallen out into the toilet as my menstrual cycle was a bit longer so I had used a tampon. While removing the tampon the nuva ring fell into the toilet. I didn't notice the nuva ring was out until a week later after my bf and I had sex about 4 times. Now I'm feeling nauseous, my breasts are tender, feeling tired more, and having night sweats. Could this just be my hormones out of wack because I've been without BC, or is there a chance I'm pregnanct. I have taken 2 home pregnancy tests that have come out negative. And I'm a week late for my period.

Doctor

A:   Hi,

As there is an history of unprotected intercourse, the possibility of pregnancy cannot be ruled out.
Nausea, breast tenderness, tiredness etc symptoms can be seen in due to hormonal fluctuations and also in early pregnancy.
So, just by symptoms we cannot come to one conclusion regarding pregnancy.
Better to go for blood test for pregnancy or ultrasound, which can give more accurate results compared with urine test for pregnancy.
If these tests also give a negative result, the possibility of pregnancy is less and you can continue with your contraception as per the schedule.
If needed you can go for symptomatic treatment with your doctor's advice.

Take care.