Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have been put on antibiotics for an infection from a Mirena

I have been put on antibiotics for an infection from a Mirena

Patient: I have been put on antibiotics for an infection from my mirena IUD. I’m still experiencing bleeding and terrible cramps. Is it possible I’m pregnant?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.There is nothing specific to your symptoms which can be suggestive of pregnancy. Also, the chances of conception on Mirena is less. The symptoms could be due to a pelvic infection or a hormonal imbalance. Consider seeing your doctor again for an examination and get the bleeding controlled and rule out a pregnancy if needed.Hope this helped.Regards