I have been sick for 23 days exactly

Patient : I have been sick for 23 days exactly. At first it was a normal cold for a week then then it changed to coughing and then coughing up mucus. I constantly have to clear my throat. And now I'm experiencing chest pains. What do I do?
Doctor :   Hello, Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com I understand your concern. You developed an upper respi ratory tract infection and it did not resolve completely. Most such infections start as a viral and quickly progress to superadded bacterial infection needing antibiotics. It seems like the infection has spread to the lungs too, hence you have been coughing up mucus. I will advise you to consult your physician and confirm the diagnosis first. A good choice antibiotic for such infections would be Tab. Cefixime 200 mg twice daily for 7-10 days, depending on the severity. You can also take Tab. Montelukast 10 mg once daily at bedtime for 3 days, this will help in draining the trapped mucus, and help in recovery. The chest pain will subside once the mucus is cleared. Hope this was helpful, Regards