I have been sick for 23 days exactly

Patient

Q: I have been sick for 23 days exactly. At first it was a normal cold for a week then then it changed to coughing and then coughing up mucus. I constantly have to clear my throat. And now I'm experiencing chest pains. What do I do?

Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

You developed an upper respiratory tract infection and it did not resolve completely. Most such infections start as a viral and quickly progress to superadded bacterial infection needing antibiotics.

It seems like the infection has spread to the lungs too, hence you have been coughing up mucus.
I will advise you to consult your physician and confirm the diagnosis first. A good choice antibiotic for such infections would be Tab. Cefixime 200 mg twice daily for 7-10 days, depending on the severity. You can also take Tab. Montelukast 10 mg once daily at bedtime for 3 days, this will help in draining the trapped mucus, and help in recovery. The chest pain will subside once the mucus is cleared.

Hope this was helpful,