Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have been sick for 23 days exactly

I have been sick for 23 days exactly

Patient: I have been sick for 23 days exactly. At first it was a normal cold for a week then then it changed to coughing and then coughing up mucus. I constantly have to clear my throat. And now I’m experiencing chest pains. What do I do?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You developed an upper respi ratory tract infection and it did not resolve completely. Most such infections start as a viral and quickly progress to superadded bacterial infection needing antibiotics.It seems like the infection has spread to the lungs too, hence you have been coughing up mucus.I will advise you to consult your physician and confirm the diagnosis first. A good choice antibiotic for such infections would be Tab. Cefixime 200 mg twice daily for 7-10 days, depending on the severity. You can also take Tab. Montelukast 10 mg once daily at bedtime for 3 days, this will help in draining the trapped mucus, and help in recovery. The chest pain will subside once the mucus is cleared.Hope this was helpful,Regards