I have been taking 20mg of paxil for 10+ years to treat depression.

Patient

Q: I was told paxil helps premature ejaculation,but I have been taking 20mg of paxil for 10+ years to treat depression and it does not to help my premature ejaculation at all. It this because i have been on it for so long or is there another reason?

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Yes, it is true that Paxil (paroxetine) helps in premature ejaculation also .
Since you have been taking this medicine for 10+ years the efficacy for premature ejaculation may not be effective as some of the effects wear off or get reduced as the body gets adjusted to the medicine.

And there may be other reasons causing premature ejaculation.
The commonest reason is the anxiety of performance, stressful life, discord with the partner, boredom of the same thing over again and again.

As you know the sex is a very personal and at the same time very complex process, involving nervous as well as humoral (hormonal) pathways. Anything at any part of this pathway can cause premature ejaculation.

You may please share the exact problem, its correlation as per your experience to the other events in life as mentioned above and it may be possible to find the reason and obviously the possible treatment.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Patient: Well I started watching pornography at a very young age (12 or 13) and I tried to finish quickly to keep from getting caught, I may be wrong but I believe this to be the main cause. If so what would be the best course of action for me to take in order to start correcting this problem?
Doctor: You have so well said about the probable cause as the body clock got set to this early ejaculation at such an early age. You are correct in saying so.
The same principal can be utilized in the reverse way, you need the co-operation of your partner and your determination to extend the timing. Lots of time in foreplay, slow sexual act and to withdraw before ejaculation, wait till the sensation is gone and try again and repeat the same procedure over and over again. This method works the best, no medication is the best policy, natural is the best way. I repeat you need the best cooperation of your partner in having proper lubrication, relaxation of the vagina and not to instigate your stimulus points and so on.

Try this over and over again, within 3 weeks you will be a different person.
You may please give me the feedback.
Since this is the last allowable follow-up, you may please ask a further question on a fresh basis and givbe reference ID 365578.
All the best .