I have been taking tetralysal for the past 4 weeks

Q: I have been taking tetralysal for the past 4 weeks. Two days ago I found out that I am pregnant. How will this affect my pregnancy? Are there tests that can be done to determine the extent of the damage, if any?

A:   Hi,

Tetralysal contains lymecycline which belongs to tetracyclines group of drugs.
These group of drugs belongs to
category D drugs in pregnancy, means there is some possible risk for fetus. Tetracyclines may affect the developing teeth and bones of fetus.
If you want to continue the pregnancy, you have to undergo regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations.
Ultrasound at around 11 weeks and TIFFA(targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) at 20 weeks and quadruple test at around 18 weeks are important to find out any possible anomaly at the earliest.

Take care.