Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have been taking the Microgynon 50 ED pill for

I have been taking the Microgynon 50 ED pill for

Patient: I have been taking the Microgynon 50 ED pill for over 12 months. My doctor has just recommended I change to the Microgynon 30 ED pill as it contains less hormones. My question is, will I need to use another form of contraception for 14 days as recommended when changing pills? Or will I be safe from pregnancy during the 14 days as it is the same brand of pill? STI risks are not a problem as my partner and I are both clean.

I have been taking the Micr...-1

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for trusting ATD about your health care.I can understand your concern here.If you start using ano ther pill pack from the first day as you used the previous one, then there is no requirement of any backup method of contraception.If you are starting the another pill in the middle of the cycle than its more beneficial to use a backup method of contraception for 7 days.Hope it is useful, feel free to take more questions.Regards