I have been told to go to a General surgery

Patient : I have been told to go to a General surgery - Colorectal tomorrow. I know people that have had something similar or the same and they have informed me that they had to fast and got given special aid to help clear bowels. My doctor did not tell me any of this or give me anything. What would advise? Its sunday and i can't contact them.
Doctor :   Thank you for writing to us. Usually, you will need to be NBM or Nil By mouth before most surgeries. This is also tru e after the surgery and you have to stay NBM till the Doctor stops it. Hope this helps you. All the best.