I have blood in my pee but it doesn't hurt

Q: Yes my question is if i am urinating blood but does not burn or hurt what could it be?

A:   Thank you for your question. Painless hematuria (blood in urine), could be indicative of the start of a urinary tract infection in some cases. However, we tend to very concerned when there is blood in the urine without pain. This is commonly associated with severe conditions related to the bladder such as bladder cancer. We recommend that you see your doctor as soon as you can in order to have a full assessment conducted. This will include, physical exam, urine test, as well as determining your cancer risk factors such as age, family history, occupational exposure, and if you smoke tobacco. Please see your doctor immediately.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com