I have constant shortness of breath It's been that way

Q: I have constant shortness of breath. It's been that way for about 6 months. It's not debilitating, as I'm able to hike & run 20 to 40 miles a week. Sometimes, it even gets better after exercising. I've been taking my heart rate upon waking up in the morning. It's consistently in the mid to high 50s, which I have read is excellent for my age(44), so I don't really feel like it's a heart problem. I used to smoke cigarettes years ago, but I don't feel like it's COPD, as I never wheeze or cough, and I'm able to do very strenuous activities. I should also mention that my shortness of breath is often accompanied by a slight feeling of heartburn in my chest. My online "research" has led me to believe that it's either Acid Reflux/GERD/Silent Reflux or anxiety (although I don't seem to exhibit the classic anxiety symptoms like worry or dread).
I just want to breathe normally! What do you suggest? Thanks for your time.

Ps - no family history of heart disease or any serious medical problems.