I have developed a scratchy throat, dry cough, runny nose

Patient: I have developed a scratchy throat, dry cough, runny nose and am now running a slight fever. Is this a cold?

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.You are probably suffering from pharyngitis.Pharyngitis is infla mmation of the pharynx—the back of the throat. This can cause a sore throat, as well as scratchiness in the throat and difficulty swallowing.If your pharyngitis is caused by a bacterial infection, your doctor will prescribe antibiotics. It is important that you take the entire course of antibiotics to prevent the infection from returning or worsening. If your pharyngitis is caused by a virus, home care can help relieve symptoms.Home care includes:taking over-the-counter medication such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen to ease pain and reduce feverdrinking plenty of fluids to prevent dehydrationgargling with warm salt waterusing throat lozengesusing a humidifierresting until you feel betterHope this helps. Take care.