I have dry spots in place on my face

Patient

Q: I have dry spots in place on my face and neck area and frequent dandruff ..what the cause and are there meds to treat this skin condition

Symptoms:  Dry skin and dandruff
Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com. I understand your concern.

Dry skin or sudden increased dryness of the skin could indicate a possible dietary deficiency where due to changes in the diet, the patient may have insufficient vitamins in his diet.

A lack of proteins further in the diet causes more dryness and increases the levels of dryness too. So the first priority is to make sure that the diet is adequate and that the skin does not lack moisture.

So, a good diet coupled with regular moisturiser application will reduce the dandruff. In severe cases there may be psoriasis of the scalp, however, that doesn't seem to be the case here. I will strongly recommend you use a good medicated shampoo for regular use, this will also reduce the dandruff in the longer run. Besides a multivitamin with vitamin, a will strengthen the skin and the epithelial later thereby reducing the excess dandruff.

Though it is not a condition, it does indicate insufficient or improper diet and can cause long term skin problems,

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,

Patient: I have tried the midi cates shampoo and the dandruff continues. ..my daughter has eczema could this be the case
Doctor: Hello,
Yes, eczema is a possibility.
Kindly try Tab. Claritin ( Loratadine ) 10 mg once daily at bedtime for a week, and let me know if there is improvement.

Regards.
Patient: Is this a prescription or something that I can buy at the local Walmart pharmacy
Doctor: Hello,
No, claritin is an antihistaminic, so should be available OTC.

Regards.