Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have genuine problems with keeping erections

I have genuine problems with keeping erections

Patient: Hi, I genuinely may have a problem with my penis, me and my girlfriend were together tonight and i had my erection but as soon as i put on a condom on and we go to have sex and i lose my erection, this happened twice. Plus during like warming up i both gain and lose a few erections in the process, should i be worried or could it just be nerves as this is a new girlfriend?

Symptoms: Loosing erections

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.You seem to be suffering from Erectile Dysfunction. The two most common causes of Erectile Dysfunction in Males are Diabetic Neuropathy and Psychogenic Erectile dysfunction. You have not mentioned any history of diabetes but you should get your blood sugar tested. I would also advise you to get color Doppler of penile vessels.In such situation I advise following :1. To take Methylcobalamin supplementation.2. To use Sildenafil as on when required basis that is whenever sex is desired.3. To cut down alcohol in case you take as this reduces erection when sex is tried after consumption of alcohol.4. To keep blood sugars well controlled.This is my best opinion for you.You should discuss with your doctor before acting upon any advice.Stay healthy.