Patient :I have grazed my foot 4 days ago(1 inches in size not to deep), had been cleaning it regularly with alcohol wipes, hydrogen peroxide and Betadine and have started a course of amoxicillin.
But when I woke up this morning my foot is now fairly inflamed/puffy from my ankle through to the toes, with a bit of redness but not sore to touch.
Is this an emergency yet or should I wait to see if the swelling reduces?
Thank you for writing to us.
I think that you have an infection of the leg which is not treatable by taking amoxicillin. This is caused by bacteria which is resistant to amoxicillin. In this case, you need to take a higher antibiotic.
In the case of amoxicillin, the bacteria can inactivate the bacteria or it has some sort of resistance mechanism. Also, you could be having a fungal or protozoal infection which will cause the symptoms you are talking about.
Another reason could be that the medication takes time to work and is not immediate. You should go to your Doctor to do a culture and sensitivity to realise which medication will work and help you with the treatment.
Hope this helps you. All the best.
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.