I have had a bad cold for a week now

Q: I have had a bad cold for a week now and it is only getting worse. I went to an urgent care clinic on Tuesday and was told it is an upper respiratory virus. The entire time I've been drinking extra fluids--water and caffeine free teas. I have been eating soup for most meals and have been avoiding sugar and dairy. I started my cold taking acetaminophen day time liquid cold medicine (day quil generic brand) and that didn't seem to help. I went to a drug store on Tuesday and with the recommendation of a pharmacist, got alka-seltzer plus day and night multi symptom cold and flu formula and chest vapor rub. I've been taking the alka seltzer plus diligently and my symptoms are only worsening. I have been sleeping 12+ hours most nights as well, but nothing seems to be helping. My nose is much stuffier, my chest is super congested, I ache, and now I feel incredibly nauseated. My sense of taste is almost completely gone as of yesterday too. I am a healthy and active 18 year old female. 5'8" and 124 lbs. I get sick with colds fairly often and they always seem to affect me terribly when they strike. I can't miss school or work tomorrow either and would love some advice to increase my speed of healing. thank you.

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

Since your fever and the other symptoms are for more then a week I would advise you investigations particularly Chest X-Ray and Hemogram. These investigations will help to rule out any Pneumonia.

For your current status I would advise following:
1. To take an antibiotic like Azithromycin which would cover both your sinus as well as Chest congestion.
2. To take an Anti allergic like Levocetrizine
3. To relieve Chest congestion you would require to take Bronchodilator like Bromohexine, Ambroxol.
3. Take Paracetamol for fever and body pains.
4. Do steam inhalation to relieve your chest congestion.

If started on the above discussed treatment you will get better in 5 days.
Share my opinion with your doctor.
Stay Healthy.