I have had a bladder infection for two weeks and

Patient

Q: I have had a bladder infection for two weeks and have been on two different antibiotics. The pain when urinating is gone, but the urgency of having to go has not. Why does this mean?

Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you.

Frequency, Pain and urgency occur in Urinary Tract infection (UTI). You had the symptoms and you got Treatment with two different antibiotics so your Infection might have got cured but not the cause. There is always some cause behind UTI.

A workup should always be done to rule out any cause behind the UTI so that the cause could be identified and treated to prevent recurrent UTI's.
The most common causes behind UTI are Stones in the renal tract and diabetes. So you should get your blood sugar tested and you should also get an Ultrasound Kidney and bladder done. Most commonly any stone particularly in ureter that has caused UTI can cause this problem of persisting urgency. In case your Urine culture was not done you should also get it done.

In case any stone us detected that would be treated based on the size and the site.

I would also advise you to drink plenty of water so that any stones or crystals if there can get flushed off.
So get tested to be sure.

I hope the information helps you. If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.