I have had a cold for two days that has

Patient

Q: I have had a cold for two days that has now escolated into chronic back pain, feeling nausated, tight chest, unable to breathe proprely. Been to the doctor today but got the all clear. Yet symptoms are worsening. What could it be and what should I do?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

It seems that you have a viral infection or flu which is causing the problem. The symptoms of flu are fever, body pains, weakness and difficulty in breathing.

Here are a few things that you can try to help you:
Inhale a lot of steam to help clear the nasal passages
Place a humidifier in the room
Drink lots of water
Take Paracetamol 500 mg two to three times a day to help with the fever and body pains

If the tightness in the chest continues for 3 days, then you should see a Doctor to get your lungs examined and also to get an ECG done.

Hope this helps you. All the best.

Patient: I have a few things I may need to have answered. So far the actual cold symptoms runny nose, headache etc is fine. However the main problems I'm having are the severe nauseousness, fainting spells, back aches and tightness in my chest. Would this be more linked to flu than a cold?

Second thing I want to ask is if it is common if you think I do have just a common cold to feel this nauseous on and off over last two days.

Do you feel I should consult my doctor again if symptoms persist for couple more days?
Doctor: Thank you for the follow up.

Tightness of the chest is not linked to a flu. It is more linked to a heart-related issue or pneumonia. Any illness can cause nausea because of the feeling of dehydration.

Yes, if the illness persists for 2 days, you should see a Doctor to get help. All the best.