I have had a cold virus for a week and

Patient

Q: I have had a cold virus for a week and a half now that has not gotten any better. The symptoms are CONSTANT coughing which has become worse with time, fatigue, night sweats, plugged ears, chest congestion, headaches, and I have a hard time taking deep breaths, it's hard to breathe without coughing or needing to cough. I take shorter breaths through the nose to stop coughing. The cough is sometimes dry and sometimes not. I have been spitting up yellow mucus all week. I have to sit up to help relieve the cough at times. I do not have a fever I have checked twice since it started. I have prescription cough medicine that has codeine and does not do anything to help. I've also tried over the counter cough medicine that don't work and use a sleep aid to sleep. I went to the doctor after 4 days and he checked for the flu which I dont hAve said it was a cold virus and gave me the cough meds that does not work. That was a week ago and symptoms have not changed.

Doctor

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

You seem to be suffering Bronchitis secondary to Viral infection that you had.
If you are having persistent coughing and any fever, you would require to get a Chest X-ray done. If there is no sign of infection then, you would be treated for Bronchitis.
In such scenario, your doctor would prescribe you inhalers containing bronchi dilators like Salbutamol.
You might also require short dose of Steroid inhaler like Budesonide.
Anti histaminic's like a combination of Montelukast and Levocetirizine helps a lot. If there is no previous cardiac history, then we also add Deriphylline for the purpose.
Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy