Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had a cold with very bad cough

I have had a cold with very bad cough

Patient: I have had a cold with very bad cough going on two weeks have had antibiotics the Zpac. Now I have pain in my neck not throat area but it hurts to turn my head. Do I need to be seen again?

Doctor: HiThank you for the question.Sore throats can be painful and annoying.Sore throats may be caused by a viral ill ness, such as:-The common cold, the most common type of viral infection.-Infection of the voice box (laryngitis ).-Mononucleosis (mono, “the kissing disease”), a viral infection that tends to cause a persistent sore throat.-Other viral infections, such as mumps, herpangina, or influenza. A bacterial infection may also cause a sore throat. This can occur from:-Strep throat, which usually does not occur with congestion or a cough.-An inflammation or infection of the tonsils (tonsillitis) and sometimes the adenoids (adenoiditis).-An infection of the tissues around the tonsils (peritonsillar abscess).-Inflammation of the epiglottis (epiglottitis)Treatment for a sore throat depends on the cause. You may be able to use home treatment to obtain relief. Ginger, green tea and honey will help you in reducing the throat pain.It is better to talk to your Doctor if the problem continues. He/she will prescribe you antibiotics if needed.I hope this will help you. Take care.