Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had a cough for the past 2 weeks

I have had a cough for the past 2 weeks

Patient: I have had a cough for the past 2 weeks. in the morning when waking up it is chesty and flemy but as the day goes on its just a dry cough though my chest is sore and weezing/crackling. when i try to cough it up nothinh comes out its just dry but when i take a deep breath i feel the congestion in my chest. im awake throughout the night from coughing. im ccurious to what it might me? acute bronchitis, type of cough or chest infection

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.You seem to be suffering Allergic cough or Acute Bronchiti s.I would advise in such scenario to get:1. Hemogram with ESR2. ECG3. Chest XrayIf the Chest Xray and these blood investigations show no sign of infection then, you would be treated for Allergic cough. Initially you would be treated with a combination of Levocetrizine and Montelukast. But your doctor will examine your chest for any wheezes/spasm. In such scenario, your doctor would prescribe you inhalers containing bronchi dilators like Salbutamol. You might also require short dose of Steroid inhaler like Budenoside.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy