Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had a small red rash, not too dark

I have had a small red rash, not too dark

Patient: I have had a small red rash, not too dark red but visible enough to me to know it wasn’t there previously, on the lower left edge of the head of my penis. I have had it for about 2 years now and just been too embarrassed to go to the doctor, it hasn’t gotten much worse in the two years but also hasn’t gone away. It doesn’t really itch, or hurt, it is only a little sensitive to friction or after sex. After showers it fades away a little bit, there are no blisters, no pimples, no bumps out of the ordinary other than the usual ridges of my head. And I have tried regular lotion on it which didn’t help, changed my laundry detergent, no help, change my shower soap no help. Everything I’ve read online seems to point me toward it being a yeast infection.I have had different 4 sexual partners in the past two years since this started both protected and Un protected and not one of them has mentioned anything to me about them catching anything, so I assume it is not too serious, so I guess what I’m asking is does this sound like a yeast infection, and can I rule out herpes at this point since it’s been there so long with no real change other than a little bit more spread that it had originally started?

Doctor: Thanks for your question.This does not appear to be either of -yeast infection or herpes.What you have described goes in favor of some allergies and it will be advisable to try’ simple antihistaminics ‘ like Levocetirizine for at-least 15 days. If it does not respond, then certainly a close look /physical examination will be warranted.Hope this helps.