I have had dandruff for a couple of years now

Q: I have had dandruff for a couple of years now and I have been using the shampoos to try to get rid of it but that only decreases the effect, how can I completely get rid of it?

A:   Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.
I have read your query.

Dandruff scalp is such a condition which can be controlled but cannot be eradicated completely.
If a person has predisposition for developing dandruff then it is likely that on completely stopping the treatment, one can develop it again.
I advice my patients to use anti dandruff shampoo containing ketoconazole on alternate day basis initially .
Once dandruff is completely controlled, it should still be used once in fifteen days.
Avoid hair oil application.

I hope I am able to solve your query.
Take care.