Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had diarrhea that began a little over 48

I have had diarrhea that began a little over 48

Patient: I have had diarrhea that began a little over 48 hours ago. This began after eating some hard boiled eggs on Monday which gave me stomach cramps and bubbling through Tuesday. The diarrhea didn’t actually begin until Wednesday which led me to believe that it is not from the eggs. I finally started to get back an appetite yesterday, but the watery bowel movements continue every hour or so. With pepto bismol and ibuprofen, I am able to get some relief for a few hours but not more than 2 hours. What can help at this point?

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.It seems you have developed Acute Infective Diarrhea/ Acute Gast ro-Enteritis. Infective Diarrhea responds to treatment within 5 days of antibiotics like Ofloxacin and Ornidazole. I also add a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone to my patients. Taking Probiotics containing Lactobacillus helps a lot. You can also take fresh yoghurt as it is a very good natural source of Probiotic.Maintain proper hydration by taking Oral Rehydration syrup (ORS). Avoid consumption of Ibuprofen as it can aggravate acidity and reflux.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy