Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had frequent urination in pretty big amounts around

I have had frequent urination in pretty big amounts around

Patient: I have had frequent urination in pretty big amounts around every 20 minutes. The urine is almost colorless but cloudy. I have been drinking more than usual because I am constantly thirsty. I am more tired than usual. I am taking lithium and have read that it can cause diabetes insipidus.

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.This is very true that lithium can cause diabetes insipidus.But it is more important th at the proper investigations have to be done under the guidance of an Endocrinologist.Tests of blood, urine MRI of the pituitary, blood sugar, renal profile and an opinion of a Nephrologist too are also important.This is because the final treatment rests upon the proper diagnosis.I hope this answer helps you.