Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had heartburn daily for 5 years I take

I have had heartburn daily for 5 years I take

Patient: I have had heartburn daily for 5 years. I take an over the counter pill. I also find myself vomiting once a week from the pain. I have coughed up dark blood as well.

I have had heartburn daily ...-1

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.Noted your history of daily heartburn for last 5 years and taking OTC. You have coughed up dark blood as well as seen in the picture.First of all let us make it sure whether the blood has come from the coughing or vomiting.I would advise you the following:Upper GI Endoscopy.CT scan of the chestENT opinion for bleeding.Care under Gastroenterologist.Hope this helps.