Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had hives for the past 3 days Went

I have had hives for the past 3 days Went

Patient: I have had hives for the past 3 days. Went to urgent care and they gave me Prednisone, zantac , and told me to take benadryl. I have reached my limit for benadryl today, and they are all still really bad they are in my ears, eyes, and I had had a coughing fit earlier. What do I do now?

Symptoms: Hives, couching, ichy

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor. I understand your concern.If you had cough already then the most likely possibili ty for your urticaria is underlying infection.In such cases, I prefer to advise oral antibiotics to treat the infection along the antihistaminics to control the allergy.In infectious cases, prednisone is not the treatment of choice .You can share my opinion with your treating doctorI am sure he will agree with this.I hope it helps.Stay healthy