Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had pain in my upper abdominal area on

I have had pain in my upper abdominal area on

Patient: I have had pain in my upper abdominal area on the right side under the ribs for at least a month that has gotten worse. I had the same pain last year that doctor suspected was my gallbladder. I had ultrasound and hiada scan that were negative. What could be causing this pain. At times it is so sharp I want to cry

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.I presume a whole abdomen ul trasound was done and it was unremarkable.Since organ enlargement has been ruled out, I will advise you to get an LFT done. Sometimes, in mild inflammatory conditions of the liver, there won’t be any enlargement, however, the patient presents with abdominal pain. I will also advise you to get an Ultrasound KUB which can check the status of the right sided kidney. There can be stones causing similar pain too.Hope this was helpful,Regards