Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had pneumonia and a gallbladder removal surgery within

I have had pneumonia and a gallbladder removal surgery within

Patient: I have had pneumonia and a gallbladder removal surgery within the last 2 months . On birth control for about 2 years. Period is 2 days late. Tender breast last week.Could all of this alter my normal period start date?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Minor irregularities can be seen while using birth control pills.As you had pneumonia and gallbladder removal surgery recently, these could also affect the menstrual cycles by leading to hormonal imbalance.Breast tenderness can be seen in premenstrual phase due to hormonal effect.Better to go for urine pregnancy test once to rule out the possibility of pregnancy.If the test gives a negative result, you can continue with your birth control pills as per the schedule irrespective of withdrawal bleeding.Take care